Wednesday, January 07, 2009
News Year Resolutions
Has anyone asked you what your New Years Resolutions are? People have asked me and I told them that I started in November. I have made it a habit the last couple of years to not wait until January 1st to start my New Years Resolutions. This year I want to drop 100 pounds, I want to be healthy, I want to be able to run a 5k, I want to stop biting my nails, I want to be happy, I want to finish college, I want to have the best relationship with the Lord. I don't want to take things in my life for granted. I want to make a difference in the world I live in. These are just a few of the things I want to do.
Here is how I am doing.
I have quit biting my nails. I have already lost 20.2 pounds. I have a personal trainer and we started talking about me and running this week. I am not taking things for granted. I am a lot happier than I have been in a long time. It's only January 7th and I am well on my way to a great New Year and I can tell this is the year that I will make things happen because I didn't wait until Jan. 1st to start. I started making changes in November and they are sticking. It is Wednesday and you may think that you have messed up already on your resolutions. That's ok. Start over today, right now. Do not wait till Monday. Monday never comes.
Dr. Phil had a show on 5 ways to keep your New Years Resolutions. They were very helpful to me.
Here they are:
1. You have to name it to claim it. Don't just say I want to lose weight. Say how much, how you are going to do it and when. You need to state as much detail as possible.
2. You have to keep score. Your goal has to be measurable. Apply a timeline to your goal. Don't just say SOMEDAY. SOMEDAY doesn't exist.
3. You can't control what you can't control. If you can remember this you will go far. Focus only on what you can control.
4. Program yourself for success. Willpower is a myth. Program my goal. If I want to lose weight I will not make it if the junk is in the house. If it is not there I will not eat it. If I only have healthy choices in the house then I will have success. I will have programmed myself to eat healthy.
5. Steps and consequences. Create Accountability. Not only with others, but yourself. Tell yourself if I don't do what I'm supposed to do then I don't get to do something that I like to do. For example, I like to watch TV. Tivo was the worst invention for someone like me. So, I have been telling myself, "If I don't exercise I don't get to watch TV. If I don't do my homework, I don't get to check facebook." It has to be something that means something to you. If you cannot walk out of the house without make up on then tell yourself. "If I don't prepare my food before going to work then I will go to work with no make up on." I think you get the idea.
I hope that you all do make New Years Resolutions. It's a great time of the year to rethink goals and hit the reset button. There's not looking to the past, only the present and the future. You can do it and I am here for you for support just like you have all been here for me.
Have a blessed day.
Posted by Melissa