Sunday, July 05, 2009

To tri or not to tri, that is the question.


So, I was planning on doing another sprint triathlon on July 26th, however, I am not sure if I should or not.
I am still having minor heel pain, but I must say that it is WAAAY better than it was. I wear orthotics in my shoes, I'm doing exercises, stretches, massage, and it is getting better. My chiropractor says there really is no reason I can't do the triathlon.

However, I have not been training as I should and it is only 3 weeks away. I know that I could finish it, but would I be happy with just finishing it. I'm a little anxious about this one because it is my first real open water swim. It's not a long swim, but it is an open swim. I know I will have to face this sooner or later to become a better triathlete and make it to my ultimate goal of Ironman, but I am nervous about doing it undertrained.

The other option is to skip this one and go and cheer on my girl Dar and do one the end of August. This is another all female one and my friend Dar is doing that one as well, so I wouldn't have to do it alone. I would have more time to train, lose weight, and take more time to make sure my heel is healing. I"m kind of opting towards this second choice, but still not sure. I need to decide soon, so I can register and get in the mind set I need to.

So, to tri or not to tri, on July 26th, that is the question. What do you all think?

3 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

Do them both.

Aunt Linda said...

Aunt Linda says try but not tri. Relax and enjoy your summer with the kids. They grow so quickly. Just keep trying to aim for your weight loss gain and enjoy the journey...no extra stress.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I'm wrestling with the one I'm theoretically supposed to do on August 9, so I hear ya.

I've tried to adopt a policy of "if I'm worried about a race - in more than the usual neurotic triathlete way, or course - then I'm not going to enjoy it. Especially if the basis of the worry is an injury.

If it was me I would agonize over missing the July race, but logic would hopefully prevail and I would opt for the August race.

Doing that gives you more time to heal, fun with Dar to look forward to and eliminates the short-term stress, not to mention to risk of aggravating the heel injury.