Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I have the best friend in the whole world

I just got off the phone with my best friend, Darlene.
This fall marks our 24th year of friendship.
We do everything together including getting healthy.
We are both on the same journey together and I could not do it without her.

It was 115am when I called her this morning. (Yes, I know I should have been asleep, but a 10 year old that was nervous about school woke me up cause he couldn't sleep, so I couldn't get back to sleep.) As you all know from a recent post I have been going through a lot of stuff and even started counseling. Within the last two days I have been hit from every side. Seriously, I'm afraid to say it, but could anything else come at me? I'm ducking as I type that . :D

Darlene listened, offered advice, but mainly listened. She didn't judge me, she actually understood some of it cause she's been there herself. She is a good friend who did not make me feel bad for how I was feeling. She knows what it means to be a good friend. She knows what it means to be a good sister. I've always told everyeone she's my sister from another mother. :D

I have come to a fork in the road of my life. Losing this weight has brought me there. One road loops back to the 306 pound doormat that I was and the other road leads to a new, free, life that already has so many options for me. A life where for once I am thinking about me and putting myself first. I will never take the road that loops back to that other person who I don't even know anymore.

It's so crazy, but I am the happiest I have ever been in my life even with having to deal with all the hard crap. The hard crap is showing me that it is time to take control of my life, time to do things for me, and in the process of dealing with it head on it will make me a stronger person. I love that.

I'm excited to see where the road leads, but scared at the same time. I'm thrilled that I have decided to go down that road even with all the bumps. Recently I wanted to just say, "forget everything." I wanted to loop back and just forget it because the mental aspect of this is so hard. My new coach (I can't wait to tell you all about him) told me, "weight loss is 90% mental and 10% physical." Man, he wasn't kidding. I am excited to be able to go down this road with Darlene and others by my side. I could never do it without the support.

Darlene, I love you. Thanks for everything.

2 comments:

fitncrafty said...

You are more than blessed to have such a support system!

Isn't it amazing how we can be dealing with things so painful yet feel so good! It's the amazing thing about not hiding behind our weight and food. We can achieve incredible things!(now to look in mirror and apply to self)

I love your enthusiam and drive... it is amazing and inspiring. We all need inspiration!

Be grateful for this long term friendship you have and new ones that are coming..

Hugs to you!!!!

Darlene said...

AAAWWW...You are welcome. You are actually an awesome friend and I could never "do life" (as we say at church) without YOU. You are also a great listener and you know that I need lots of hugs and laughs. :)
Here's something to make you smile if some crap comes up again in the next week or so (which, it will). Go to YouTube and search for Brad Stine. He's similar to Tim Hawkins. Holy funniness Batman!
I love you and am thankful for your friendship.
Hugs!