Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Emergency Root Canal

With only 3 days left until I leave for California I needed an emergency root canal. I've been getting major dental work done for the last couple of months, so I could be in tip top shape for my trip. I was told by my dentist that he caught a problem early to prevent me needing a root canal. He prepped the tooth for a crown that I was supposed to get put on tomorrow. I was in there getting another crown put on and told him how much pain my other tooth was in. He said, "eeeewwwww, I was afraid of that." Those are not words that you really want to hear from a guy who has his hands in your mouth. He said if it wasn't better in a few days that I needed a root canal. This was not what I needed to hear just days before I was supposed to leave for a 6 week trip and I do not like the guy who does the root canals for my dentist.

I need give you a little background about the Dr. Who did my last root canal. He is psychotic. I will not go into details, but as a person who is afraid of dentists this guy did not give me any reassurance and to be perfectly honest I was not looking forward to going back to him. I finally called yesterday to make my appointment and was greeted a recorded message, " Dr. ********, is out of town until June 15th, if you are in need of any work please call this doctor and he will be able to help you." As soon as I heard this message I just started laughing because I was so relieved that I wouldn't have to go to him. I called my dentist and he gave me another referral.

Long story short (I know too late!!) I went to him today and he was wonderful, calm, explained everything, didn't scare me. It was great. He got me all set up for my trip. I need to come back the day after I get home for him to finish my root canal.

I need you guys to pray for me though because I cannot chew on the side where the root canal is until I get back. That means for 6 weeks I have to solely chew on my left side. I have two missing molars on that side, so I have always favored my right side. At least I'm going to a camp where I want to lose weight. If it is hard to even chew my food I should do really well.

I need to get going.
blog later,
Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go to Dr. Barber, he is awesome... and his partner (my dentist) is cute (a girl)... so now I love to go to the denist. She even looks like the Dentist assistant in "The Whole Nine Yards" one of my favorite movies that i'm not able to recommend.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous (not anonymoust) - can't spell, i was thinking about my dentist. :)