Sunday, June 12, 2005

WE MADE IT!!

YEAH, WE MADE IT!!

We left for the airport around 8:30am to get there in time for an 11:36 flight. We hit no traffic and check-in was a breeze thanks to those awesome curbside guys. We encountered a small line at security, but we hit no snags there except that the kids didn't want to put their stuffed monkeys on the conveyor belt. When I asked them why they said, "Because their scared Mom." Of course, I should have known how scarey it would be for a stuffed monkey to go in there and get x-rayed. Maybe the monkeys were smuggling something on the plane that they shouldn't have. :-)

We got to the gate about 10:15, so we had plenty of time to play. One thing I did for the kids is have gifts wrapped in their carry on suitcases. I gave them one at the gate while we were waiting and then I gave them one about every hour on the flight. It was great. The only problem with it is they keep asking, "When do we get our next gift?" I told them if they asked again they would have to wait 2 hours. That got them quiet.

We boarded the plane a little later then we anticipated, but with no problems. We were in row 25. Parker had the window sit to start. Tricia sat next to Parker and I was on the aisle. I always take in my surroundings when I first sit down. Older(not old just older) couple to my left. Young family in front with 11 month old Cole. Mom and two teens behind me, and bathrooms about 10 rows back. When you look out the window you can see the wing.

We had to sit for about 30 minutes before we took off. It was hot and there was a high pitched noise that about drove me nuts. I put my CD player on (someday I'll have an IPOD sigh) and the batteries died, so it was back to the high pitched noise. I was starting to get a little anxious. I don't do well in small spaces and did I mention it was hot? We finally took off and as soon as we were in the air we hit a BIG pocket of turbulance. The kids thought it was cool, but I was starting to have a hard time. The hard time turned into a panic attack. We were already up and I was trying to calm down because I didn't want the kids to worry. I started hyperventilating and I was hitting the Flight Attendant button, but when I looked back she was dozing off in her take off chair. I started to panic when I saw that and was hitting the button repeatedly and the man next to me jumped up and said in my ear, "I'm a retired fireman I will help you." He was wonderful. He had me breathe in a bag. The lady in front of me was a nurse, so she turned around and helped to. I don't really remember what they were saying, but it helped. They got me an ice pack and got me calmed down. He was taking my pulse the whole time. He said it got in the 120's and when I finally calmed down it was in the 70's. He also said I was threading, which is something to do with my blood pressure. I don't remember what it is though. I was so embarrassed, but thankful that they were sitting by me. Their names are Rich and Jan. My guardian Angels. When you say your prayers tonight please thank the Lord for them. They are special people in my book and always will be.

The kids were great. They didn't realize what had happened. As soon as I calmed down I gave them another gift. They were perfect on this flight. It was great.

The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful until about 1 hour before landing. I started feeling hot again, overwhelmed, motion sick and had another mini panick attack. No where as bad as the first one.. I had gotten a migraine from the first attack, so the light from the windows was killing me, the noise and the turbulance. They got me ice, someone gave me their black nap mask to block out the light. It was a lot faster of a recovery time.

I didn't want to share this story on my blog because I didn't want everyone to worry and it is kind of embarassing to me even though I don't need to be embarassed. I'm telling you because I want to make sure you pray that it won't happen on the way home.

When we got off the plane there were my Aunt and Uncle holding up signs that said, Tricia and Parker. They had them covering their faces. It was really great to see them. We got Carl's Jr. (one of my favorite California restaraunts when I was little) because we hadn't eaten since breakfast. American Airlines now charges for snacks. I did get a Salad, but wanted the 6 dollar burger. IT WAS HUGE!! I remember hearing somewhere this burger has over 1000 calories and over 100 grams of fat.

We drove by my old house to show Tricia and Parker. It doesn't even look the same, but that was fun. Some of you might not know I was born in Long Beach California and basically lived there until I was 12. That is when we moved to Illinois. After that we got to the house and just visited for awhile and then went across the street to the neighbor's house for a graduation party. I come to California every 2-3 years, so I knew the girl that had graduated. It was nice just to sit and visit with my cousin Lindsay and my Aunt in the cool evening breeze. Tricia also found a plum that looks like a brain. I will take a picture of it and post it at a later time. It's really cool!

After that we headed to bed. The kids are off at church with Uncle Wilson and Aunt Linda and I'm just taking it easy this morning. While eating breakfast and visiting with Lindsay I felt something and said really loud, "What was that?" and Lindsay says as calm as ever, "An earthquake." Yes, you read it right on my first morning here I got to feel an earthquake. Pretty cool!!

Blog more later,
Melissa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrecked my plans! I was seated behind you to the left, the suspicious looking guy with the eye patch and huge scar? I was going to take over the plane and take it to my home country to free my comrades from Evil Bush but then you started all that noise up there and got everyone looking and then that fireman identified himself and i knew my plans would not work.... you ruined my day, but you saved America. When is your return flight? I might book on that one.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I would like to personally thank you for your valant efforts to save our Great Nation!! Your idea to fake a panic attack in order to thwart a terrorist plot was ingenious!! You are my kind of American!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saving America. Without America the entire world would be lost. You are to be commended and held in highest esteem. I think you should get one of those congressional medals that your country hands out.

Melissa said...

Thank you Mr. President and Mr. Blair for your kind words. Really, it was nothing. :-)