Friday, July 08, 2005

Week 3 almost over!! Nancy's Class Notes!!

Hello,

It's almost the end of week 3 here at Camp LaJolla. I am so happy that I have come here. I really am growing as a person.

The other day we had a behavior modification class with the Camp Director, Nancy. She and I have really clicked. I wanted to share some things from her class that I think will help me when I get home.

These are questions she told us to ask ourselves:
-What do I need to work on? Where is my thinking? What sets me off in a social setting and what can I do to prevent it from happening. i.e. at the movies-popcorn-do I want it because of the smell/advertising or because my stomach really wants it. What can I do to not give into advertising/smell next time I go to the movies.

When I go home what will I instill? Is there food I need to get out of my house. Do I need to find someone to have as a buddy system with my eating and working out?

As far as fitness goes I am doing more here at camp then I will ever be able to do when I get home. I need to find a couple things I love and stick with them once I get home. I am finding that I love kickboxing, racquetball and walking. We have a great path by our house that I will definitely taking advantage of when I get home.

We can make time for so many things in our lives that I just need to make time for me and my health, so I am going to be scheduling it into my calendar just like everything else.

I am going to make family fitness a priority. We love to walk and go the beach, so I hope to really incorporate more fitness into all our daily lives.

Even on the bad days- DON'T GIVE UP!! If I overeat do not beat myself up. Sometimes we overeat and then give up and overeat the next day. This is a very BAD CYCLE! Do not beat yourself up. Do not feel guilty about messing up. It's life!!

Know that there are going to be changes in your life. How will you handle the changes? Do not wallow in the changes just tell yourself, "Get over it and get on with it."

What are my triggers? Why am I allowing myself to eat this trigger food? Use self-dialog when approaching holidays, buffets and trigger foods.

Try to eat on a schedule everyday. DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST!! Here is the schedule that I have chosen for myself. Breakfast between 7-8am, Lunch between 12-1pm and dinner 6-7pm. It has been great eating on a schedule here, so that is one of the things that I am going to implement once I get home.

Dining out- Know where you're going and what you want before you go, so you don't have to look at the menu. You all have your favorite restaurant and your favorite dish. How many times have you looked at the menu just to order the same thing you ordered last time. Try to avoid appetizers. Share your meals or ask for the box right away, so that you only eat half of your meal. Do not have the bread basket. Do not have butter. Ask for your veggies to be steamed. Do not be afraid to ask your server for what you want. Remember and say to yourself, I AM IN CONTROL!! I AM THE DRIVER OF WHAT I EAT!!

Think of Maintenance this way. . .
Maintenance is maintaining your healthy lifestyle, not maintaining your weight.

It's never too late for a new beginning. Be careful-Home is soon. Dining out is coming soon. Be careful right now. Some people will try and get me to deviate.

What was I doing when I deviated? Who was I with? Why did I do it? People will try to sabotage me even if they don't mean too. Know who they are and do what I need to do to be successful in this journey.


These are all the things that I took away from Nancy's class. They are very practical and I have heard some of it before, but I am working through them and making a plan for when I get home. That is what I have never done before, so it has been good. I am really excited about getting home and getting things implemented to carry on what I have been learning here. I hope some of this has helped you.

My back is still hurting today and I am still taking it easy. However, today is the only day that I can take Ocean Kayaking before I leave camp, so I will be doing that later this afternoon. They are 2 people kayaks and I have heard that it is really fun. Some people even saw seals next to them under the water. Don't worry I will be taking my waterproof camera. I'll try and get some good shots.

Keith arrived yesterday and really surprised the kids. From what I hear they have talked his ear off and haven't let go of him since he got there. My cousin Scott could not go to an Angels game last night, so he gave the 3 tickets and baseball hats to Keith and the kids, so they got to go out by themselves. They had a lot of fun except that the Angels lost! Parker fell asleep as soon as he was in the car. They are hanging out today and then Keith comes here to get me. We are going out to dinner and then staying at a hotel in San Diego. I can hardly wait to see him. Saturday we will head back to Uncle Wilson and Aunt Linda's house and hang out with the kids, go to church together on Sunday and then Keith will be driving me back to camp. This will be a perfect weekend for me.

I need to run for now. I am not doing racquetball (Jordan this is the correct spelling) because of my back, but will be walking during that class and then off to Kayaking after lunch. I hope you are all having a great day.

Love and miss you,
Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the Angels lost. It sounds like the kids and Keith had a blast. I'm looking forward to covering the Golden State Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim later this month.

And racketball/raquetball/racquetball - however you want to spell it Meep, it is the game where I'm gonna kick your butt!

Anonymous said...

Can I be there for the match betwix brother and sister on the r-ball court? This should be good!!!

Good notes Meepa. Keep them in mind and in sight when you get home.