Saturday, January 07, 2006

Off to help a friend today

Today I am off to help a friend in need. She is a new Single Mom of 7 kids. Some people from church donated money, giftcards, Thanksgiving Dinner and gifts for them at Christmas, but now 4 of us are going back today to fix drywall and paint. I'm not the one fixing the drywall, but I will be painting. I have a friend who is donating a couch, bed and desk today too. I'm so excited about God has provided for this family. Without all the help and prayers I could have never done what I was able to do.

Friday was my day of rest from the gym and this morning I didn't make it because I overslept. I was really bummed, but realized that helping this family today is more important than making it to the gym. Sometimes we have to let the schedule go for family, friends and life and we cannot beat ourselves up. This is hard for me to do sometimes. So today I am letting go and just enjoying my day and not giving myself a hard time for not making it to the gym. Afterall, I will be lifting furniture, painting, and running up and downstairs all day. This will be good to do today because today would have been my Mom's 63rd birthday. This past Christmas morning was the 9th anniversary of her passing and it was a tough year for some reason, so I'm glad today I will be running around and not just sitting at home thinking about it. Love you Mom!

Usually I do not go to the gym on Sundays because of church and family, but I have decided to make up for missing today I will go tomorrow after church and lunch.

Also, I've had my first real temptation with chips. For those of you who may not know I have given up chips and pretzels for 2006. Hey, I didn't realize that rhymes. I'M GIVIN' UP CHIPS IN 2006. The poet in me comes out again. My hubby does the majority of the grocery shopping and I told him to pick up snacks for the kids lunches. He brings home this bag of 24 small bag of chips in the flavors that I love. He did nothing wrong, but it is hard. So I have asked him to keep things like that in the garage by our fridge out there. So that is where they are going to be and so far, so good. :-) I also decided that candy is even more of an issue than chips, so I am slowly working on the candy issue too. I need gum and I mean need. I chew sugarless EXTRA to help me not snack on other things, so the gum can't go, but I'm working on elimanating the other unnecessary candy in my life. :-) The necessary candy is staying. :-) I'm so glad Christmas is over and I'm proud of myself because I didn't buy any of the sale candy after the holidays.

I'm so glad I have this blog and the family and friends that read it and support me in my ongoing journey of getting healthy. I appreciate you all. You really mean the world to me.

Have a blessed Saturday. A favorite saying of mine is I'M TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED.

3 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

Melissa I'm so proud of you for sticking to your commitment about no chips in 2006! I know how hard this is for you! I have to admit I'm not a big chip eater but I do love a good baked Lays with salsa now and then. But the candy, oh the candy, oy vay! I love the candy! It's been 7 days now with no candy! Yay me! I did have a couple oatmeal cookies yesterday, but that doesn't count in the candy column... at least not in my book, and mine is the one that counts, haha! Let's keep encouraging each other, I know we can do this thing!

Papa Tweet said...

Here's an idea to help with the chip temptation. We do it in our house. We put a fruit bowl out on the counter top, within easy reach. That way, if you are snacky, the right options are right in front of you. Research has shown that if you have to look for it, you won't eat it. With that said, way to go with the chips. But, the same goes for fruit. That means it needs to be within easy reach. Just an idea. Hope this helps.
Benny

Sixteen Chickens said...

Melissa are you still out there? How you doing? How about an update? :)