Monday, September 08, 2008

Ironman Breakfast

I'm at my hotel and crawled out of bed to go get some breakfast before crawling back in bed before driving home. I just met a 22 year old kid who did his first Ironman yesterday. I asked him how he did and he said, "9:15" I said, "Oh, you crossed the finish line at 9:15pm?" He said, "No, I finished in 9 hours and 15 minutes." My jaw is still dropped. The first pro to cross the finish line did it in 8:43, so this kid was only 32 minutes behind the professional leader. Crazy!!!! I'm so impressed with these athletes. I am impressed with the pros who are like living machines and I'm impressed with the lady that crossed the finish line with seconds to spare. I'm also impressed with everyone in between. There was an 80 something year old man named Frank who has done this for years. This year he only planned to dothe swim and succeeded. I say only, but when I'm 80 something will I be able to swim 2.4 miles in 2 hours? I don't think so. Well, maybe we'll see. :-)

Breakfast was great. I got to meet this kid named Jason and talk to 2 other Ironmen. Man, I'm so glad I got up for breakfast.
Gotta run and catch some zzzzz's.

2 comments:

M said...

Isn't it crazy that it'sa ll over now? I saw you when I was standing in the bleachers and tried to wave - figured you would see me in my bright yellow jacket. We stuck around to watch the last lady finish too!

Man, it was good to meet you this weekend - so glad we did dinner. With us volunterring too, we didn'tget a chance to meet up later, but hey - you live pretty close to me - Im still up for a run whenever you want!

The (IRON) Clyde said...

That lady at the end last night was absolutely crazy....14 seconds left and she's worried about her kids coming with her...I was yelling "just run!!!".

Great to meet you this weekend, and thanks for crowning me as an official "Ironman"....we'll definitely have to set up a sprint or 5K or something for the next season and get a bunch of us together and do it.

Right now, I'm eating Lou Malnati's and watching the Pack, sitting here as an Ironman, the smile still hasn't left my face (but that may have something to do with the pic I'm about to paste on my blog, haha).