Sunday, September 07, 2008

Ironman Wisconsin Part 2

Here is my day in a nutshell cause I'm so exhausted.
-woke up at 3:30am and started body marking athletes at 4:45am even though we were not supposed to start until 5:00. I marked two pros. #16 came in 2nd place. #22 lives one town over from me.
-watched the swim start. AMAZING
-went down by the swim finish and saw my friend Larry and Chris (The Clyde-his blog is Clydesdale Trot) finish. It is hilarious to watch the volunteers strip the wetsuits off the athletes. If I didn't have a bad back I would love to do the job.
-went and watched my friend Larry come out of Transition and run to get his bike.
-Hopped on a bus and rode it to the Verona Loop to watch the professional bikers.
-Worked a run station. That was so cool!!
-Watched the Pros cross the finish line. 1st place male finished in 8 hours and 43 minutes.
-volunteered at the finish line handing out medals. Did that from 6pm-Midnight. I got to put the medal on the last athlete. She almost didn't make it. No one was left out on the course.
-now I am tired and heading to bed.
_more to come later.

1 comment:

Dave Wheeler said...

Way to Go ! Volunteering for a race is an incredible motivator!

The first Chicago marathon that I saw was what inspired me to train for it (and finish it) the following year.

Best of luck as you progress through the various milestones to your goal !

Dave Wheeler
Clydesdale Athlete (and future Ironman)