Monday, June 08, 2009

U inspire!

I'm sitting here tonight at my computer just thinking about the journey I am on.
I checked facebook and someone had written two words to me. They read "U Inspire."

As some of you know I have been having a lot of trouble with the whole inspiring others concept. I hardly have a handle on what I need to be doing, let alone inspiring others and having that chance that I'll let them down. Recently inspiring others has felt like a burden to me.

Recently I have had 3 people tell me that because of me they have joined weight watchers. I have received emails from people that just signed up for their first triathlon and thanked me for making my journey so public. It was what I needed to hear because just this week I had I was questioning whether or not I should have made my journey so public. I was wondering if I was ever going to accomplish what I want to accomplish and then I realized that I am slipping back into relying on myself to make it and not relying on God.

My true inspiration comes from God and that He sent his only Son to die for me. Jesus made his journey VERY PUBLIC and he inspired so many to follow Him. I need to once again turn my focus on Him and not on what I want to accomplish and what I want to do. I need to again make Jesus and God the focus of my journey and everything else will fall into place.

Tonight I was talking to a wonderful young man, Matt, that is in my son's theater group. I was telling him some things about my journey and inspiring others and he said, "Wow, that's cool, you are like a missionary of sorts." That simple comment made me think about my journey and inspiring others in a whole new light. God has given me the gift of encouragement and reaching out to others. I am finally having success with losing weight and getting healthy and I could not do it without God. God is then turning it around where I am reaching out to others, inspiring them, and helping them change their lives. Because of God helping me I can turn around and help others.

This has totally shifted my thinking on inspiring others. Before I was looking at it as a burden. I was scared. I saw it as a responsibility that I didn't want. I felt I would let everyone down if I gained my weight back or quit triathlons, but now I see it as an honor from God. He has chosen me to help others change their lives just like He is helping me change mine. Wow, pretty cool. I also just want to say to God, U inspire me. Thanks.

Matt, thanks for those words tonight. I know it was just one sentence, but it really changed my outlook on the people that I am inspiring. God used you tonight in my life.

I also want to thank my friend Jordan R. You are always so encouraging to me and more times than you'll ever know, it is when I need it most.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Melissa, you are really such a fantastic role model and inspiration to me. When I see what you write about this incredible journey that you're on, it helps fill me with hope that I'll be able to do the same and stay on this path. I officially decided what I wanted to do with my life the other night, and it's the first career that makes any sense to me. I want to lose the weight and go to school to be a personal trainer so I can help others change their lives. I also want a degree in youth ministry so that I can help other girls with this problem-- and this is because of you. Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone like you to be inspired and uplifted by, and have done this for me in so many ways, and I want to be able to do it for other girls out there who are dealing with this very issue. So thank you for everything. I am so thankful to God to have you for a friend!
Jordan
=]

Melissa said...

Wow, Jordan, thanks. I'm so happy that God has led you in this direction. I know that you are going to be wonderful at whatever you do because you always put God first. Let me know if I can help in anyway. You are one incredible lady.