Friday, January 15, 2010

Email from a facebook friend

I have been getting emails on a regular basis now asking for my advice and encouragement. I decided to start posting the emails from those people and posting my responses here. Here is the first email asking some questions:


Hi Melissa - Just wanted you to know what an inspiration you are. I have recently lost 25 lbs. and want to lose more, but sometimes lack the motivation/time factor because of working full time and kids/family. You keep me going by your posts. Just thought I would share... Do you eat specific foods in addition to excerising? How often do you workout? Just thought I would pick your brain because sometimes my weight stays the same...

Thanks again,
K


Hi K,

Thank you so much for sending me this email. I am so glad that my posts are keeping you going on your journey and just let me say that I am so proud of you for losing 25 pounds. Keep up the great work. I know how hard it is to even lose 5 pounds, so losing 25 is very impressive. I also know how hard it is to keep the motivation going along the way. The way that I stay motivated is to picture myself at my final goal and what I want to be doing. I ask myself, "Is this food or tv show going to help me reach my goals?" Most of the time the answer is no, so I don't even go there because reaching my goal is more important to me then eating the junk or sitting around watching TV and not being active.

I also had a mom that died, obese, at the young age of 53. She ended up getting colon cancer. She was overweight and was in pain for years and it was overlooked because of weight. By the time she was diagnosed it was too late, her cancer had spread to her liver and lymphnods. We lost her 7 months later. This is something that has motivated me greatly. I do not want to die young and leave my husband and kids early like she did. I want to live a long, happy, life and live to see my grandkids. I am well on my way to doing that.

What is the reason you want to lose weight? What has been your motivation in the past? Think of those reasons and your motivation and post it somewhere. I have before pictures on my fridge. I have pictures taped on my bathroom mirror of triathlon pictures, I have quotes written down everywhere. I constantly have visual reminders for me to read or look at to stay motivated.

I am very blessed at the moment not to be working, so as far as working out I work out quite a bit and even sometimes twice a day. I am working out as much as I can before getting a job because I know it will be harder to do once I work. I do realize this is a blessing, but at the same time there are times I have to schedule my workouts just like everyone else. I am in bed every night between 9-930pm and twice a week I am up by 4am to be at the gym by 5am to swim and be home before my kids are awake. I will do this everyday once I work to get my workouts in before heading to work. I also am a member of the YMCA and work out at 5 different Y's depending on what activitivies my kids are involved with. If Parker is at theater I go to one Y, if I am buy Tricia's school I go to the Y by her school, if they are at a church event I am at the Y by church. I am not a mom that sits on the sideline while they are at an event. If they are at swim lessons, I"m in the pool swimming laps. I do not know how old your kids are, but most YMCA's and a lot of gyms have child care options I have also heard from a lot of mom's that have young kids that there are great WORKOUTS on comcast I believe and I know my library has a bunch of workout DVD's you can check out. There always a way to workout. If you have specific scenarios feel free to let me know and I will help you schedule into your week. YOU CAN DO THIS.

You asked what do I eat? I have actively been on Weight Watchers since November 2008. I have lost 75 pounds since then. I make it a point to eat at least 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day if not more. I only drink water. If I need to have something else I will drink tea. I have not had soda in almost 2 years. I have pretty much given up artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. I'm not saying I don't have my days where I slip up, but I eat pretty clean now. I know what my trigger foods are and for the most part stay away from them. The key to my good eating is that I now journal EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. That makes a huge difference. I would encourage you to do this if you do not already.

As far as your weight staying the same, make sure you are switching up your workouts and trying new foods. Your body can get used to what you are doing. If you are always doing the same workout switch it up. If you are always eating chicken and salad, try new foods. You need to surprise your body and I believe you will see your weight go down again.

I hope that this has helped you. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will be happy to get back to you.

Be great,
Melissa

No comments: