Friday, April 02, 2010

Reframing



As I wrote yesterday I have been letting my fears rule my life for sometime. I don't know why I just have. My AWESOME coach talked to me yesterday about quite a few things, but the one that stuck out to me most was my "near drowning accident" that I had in high school.

I put that in quotes because Coach Bob had me think of this incident in a new light. He in no way took away from the fear that I went through that day. He in no way took away from the fact that this incident was hard for me and has affected my swimming and my life, but he had me reframe it.

He asked me, "Did you pass out that day? Did the paramedics have to come and resuscitate you? Did you throw up water because you took so much on?" He wasn't doing this to be mean, but to get me to think.

I remember the incident clearly, but I do not remember what happened after it. I do remember that I finished the day with my friends and drove home with them. No hospital, no parents coming to get me, none of that, I finished my day. Bob, helped me reframe this incident as a scary swimming incident in my life. It happened in the past. It does not define me. He had me think about how far I have come in the water, how many yards I swam last week (4000 yards), how I'm a new athlete.

I have decided to reframe this incident as a scary swimming incident and not a near drowning experience. I have allowed myself to live with that fear long enough. Just like I said in yesterday's post. I will allow myself to have the feelings, but I will not stay there. I had fear in the water, I have acknowledged that fear, and now it is time to move on.

I am on my way and will be working on reframing other incidents in my life, so they are just that, incidents, and not incidents that define who I am. I define who I am, not some silly situation that happened years and years ago.

Thanks Coach Bob. You are really good at what you do and I appreciate you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my life I have been under the water to the point of needing resusitation twice and almost drown a third. It is just a scary swiming accident and life continues. Now on to scuba diving and sailing.