Friday, August 01, 2008

So proud of our soldiers

I always write about our American Soldiers at Memorial Day and Vetern's Day. That's not a bad thing, but I decided that I need to write about our soldiers today.

I was at the airport waiting for my flight to Utah and there were soldiers wating for a flight. I have taught my kids since they could talk that they need to thank soldiers for serving our country, so as soon as we approached the gate my daughter said, "Mom soldiers." They were sitting in groups of three and three guys were by sitting by themselves. She walked up to the two groups of three and thanked them and walked up to one of the other guys and thanked him. I shook aplll of their hands. I just had such a sense of pride today when thanking them. I was watching them. They were all so young. Laughing having fun just hanging out waiting to come or go. I'm not sure which way they were going.

I talked to a soldier once that said at anytime you are out on the field you know that at anytime you might have to save your fellow soldiers life. He said that it really makes you get close. That you do become brothers. It was so obvious to me that these young men were brothers.

While they were waiting a little boy walked up to them. I wish I could have taken his picture. He was in awe. He kept looking up and down at their uniforms. He was smiling and talking to them, asking them questions. He had them all smiling and he posed for pictures with 6 of them. They were still talking about it when he walked away.

I got to board the plane in the first group, so I got to watch everyone board. When the soldiers walked by I was joking with them and it was a lot of fun. I had them all laughing. I heard someone else thank them. It was wonderful. My dear sweet hubby got me a first class ticket while he and the kids were in coach, so I went back to say hi to them and noticed every single soldiers were all asleep. They were out. They looked so exhausted.

It got me thinking how proud of am I am. These are all sons, brothers, husbands, uncles, cousins, and friends. They sacrifice so much, but they never complain. In fact when my friend was injured in Iraq he was counting the days until he could get back. I do not know if that is how I would have reacted. As soon as he was able he did go back. The men and women of the armed forces have my greatest respect and I appreciate all that they sacrifice to make our country what it is, the best country in the world.

No matter where you are politically, whether you want our troops out of Iraq or to stay in Iraq. Whatever you think of George W. or the new presidential candidates, please remember our soldiers. Some of them have told me they feel like we care more about the politics then them. They need our support no matter what we think. These boys at the airport reminded me of that. I need to be doing more than I already am, so I signed up to support two soldiers in Iraq. I would encourage you to do the same.

When we sign up for a soldier we use www.operationmilitarypride.org

We have done this and are still friends with our soldiers that we supported years ago. Please consider doing this. It will change your life. The soldiers I have supported in the past told me they always liked the packages, but what meant the most were the letters. Pictures that my kids drew ended up being hung in a palace that used to be Saddam's. When I would send my soldier birthday presents I would sent treat bags for all his guys. It is so much fun!! If you sign up let me know how it goes. I would love to hear the stories.

I know that our country is going through a hard time. We are all paying a lot of gas, our homes, food, and this election coming up is huge, but if you can put this aside and think of all the wonderful things our country has to offer. Think of all the opportunities we have, all the priviledges we have, and all of our freedoms and remember the men and women in the military past and present that have helped make this the greatest country in the world.

To everyone that has served, is serving, and will serve thank you very much. I appreciate you and all you have done and will do. I thank God for my country and my freedom all the time and do not take it for granted. Thank you so much.

No comments: