Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!!


Why do we say Happy Memorial Day when this should be a day of remembering our fallen soldiers. There really is nothing happy about it, but our country has turned this day of mourning into a day of parties, travel, parades, and a kick off to summer. This is not what the holiday is about at all. I'm not saying we should all walk around somber today, but to wish someone a happy memorial day is baffling to me.

In 1971 Memorial Day Observance was changed from the original date of May 30th to the last Monday is May. This way we could have a nice little 3 day weekend. Now don't get me wrong I like a three day weekend just as much as the next person, but in my opinion that has changed the meaning of this holiday. It seriously has become a weekend of sales, BBQ's,travel plans and a day off school. I take my kids to the local parade every year. We make a poster to thank the vets that are in the parade and after the parade we go to the local VFW to thank the vets for serving our country. We also do this on Veteran's Day. I never want my kids to forget why we get to live in such an awesome country. I don't come from a military family, but I'm raising my family to be a family that thanks military.

One Memorial Day after the parade we were heading back to our car and saw an older vet sitting at a picnic table in our park. My kids probably around age 5 and 4 ran up to him and simply said, "Thank you for serving our country." He teared up and said no one had even thanked him that day. Another Memorial Day weekend we had taken the kids to downtown Chicago and they were thanking vets all day. In the evening in the train station to head home we thanked a female vet. She said the same thing, no one had thanked her all day and how much it meant to her.

Please enjoy your weekend. Enjoy your BBQ's, your shopping, and your travel, but please remember why these things are possible. We live in such an awesome country because of those who have come before us, those who are serving now, and those who are yet to come in our military. Please thank a vet today and EVERYDAY!!

Here is a post I did in 2007 regarding Memorial Day. I had met a soldier and he told me they are trained not to expect anything when they get home that way they won't get hurt. Please read on to hear what else he had to say. . . Memorial Day 2007

1 comment:

M said...

for some reason this made me teary. what a great thing to teach your children about this day. i agree that i think we, as a country, take our freedoms - and those that protect them - for granted. thanks melissa.